Thursday, October 23, 2014

Day 31, Small Pause, "Strangers?"


"Sending Cheer", 3x2in. Oil on linen/board. Sold



Today's Small Pause...

A cruise ship came into our area today, filled with passengers from various locations. I was invited, along with several other vendors, to participate in an event that would offer a taste of our county's local artistic flair and welcoming climate. The event only lasted for about an hour. The passengers were truly made to feel special with local entertainment, refreshments and the ability to browse tables filled with a variety of interesting and beautiful wares. 

I truly enjoyed small pauses of conversation I had with mere strangers. We shared smiles, chuckles and fondness within those few minutes. Although I was a vendor selling my  paintings, I made sure I did not just talk about myself. I loved finding out about them; engaging them in conversation that gives me little glimpses into their life or day. 



Circle of Hands


Later in my day, I found myself smiling at their kind words, facial expressions or interesting tidbits they shared with me about their lives. They were strangers in a sense, but in the big scheme of things, not really. We shared a human connection. 

I loved the following quote by Deepak Chopra, which to me, expresses this idea perfectly.

“Meeting a stranger can be totally fleeting and meaningless, for example, unless you enter the individual’s world by finding out at least one thing that is meaningful to his or her life and exchange at least one genuine feeling. Tuning in to others is a circular flow: you send yourself out toward people; you receive them as they respond to you.”
Deepak Chopra, The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life


Don't underestimate the lasting affect of a warm smile or a pleasant exchange with a stranger. You might just add a ray of sunshine to their day and yours!

Warmly,
Debbie


P.S. Please feel free to add your own small pause or comments below.

P.P.S. You may also like to Subscribe to my free Fine Art Ezine and Fine Art Blog. Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Comments