Friday, October 10, 2014

Day 30, Small Pause, "Residual Effect"


Autumn's Gifts, 4x4in. Oil on linen/board. Sold
Painted En Plein Air in MacLellan's Brook, Nova Scotia.


Today's Small Pause...

Over the years I have come to learn that "Joy" does not arrive in our lives in one continuous swoop after another. Sometimes we must find moments or "small pauses" that are subtle, but just the same bring small moments of joy. 

I especially became aware of this fact when my son Brett was very sick for a span of ten years. My life was not made up of continuous joyful moments. Within the worry and stress, I managed to find those small moments. Some were gentle, like a kind touch or a knowing smile. Others were bits of beauty I saw in my environment; like beautiful shadows that swept over the hospital wall as the sun shone through the window. Some were in my passion, as my brush moved gracefully over a linen surface. 


Beautiful Autumn Shadows and Light!

These "small pauses" gave me a joyful break from the reality of life in general. They brought warmth to my soul and uplifted my spirits. They were a welcome retreat, much like a waking meditation. Their entry into my life has brought me much joy. Although they are sometimes subtle, they culminate over time, providing a beautiful residual effect in one's life.


Nestled In, 3x3in. Oil on linen/board. Sold
Painted from life--Alla Prima

As we head into this Thanksgiving Weekend, our family is experiencing much joy over Brett's new found health. We are very grateful! If you are celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend, I wish you many small moments of joy with family and friends. Pick up on the subtle joys that surround you everyday. Your heart will grow a little warmer.

Warmly,
Debbie




“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.” 
Mother Teresa



P.P.S. You may also like to Subscribe to my free Fine Art Ezine and Fine Art Blog. Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Comments